Monday, August 30, 2010

New knitting project (yes another one:)

This project is a special one for me.  Growing up I had a lot of cousins on my mom's side of the family and one of my favorites was my cousin Julie.   In fact I had my first shower at her house (we did not have running water so baths/or dips in the river were how we got clean) and I still remember it.  It was great all that warm water that did not have to be heated up on the wood stove, you could change the temp with a knob, and most of all it was just cool to feel grown up enough to stay at their house and take a shower.  (I know it sounds kinda dorky, but it is a great memory for me).

Anyway about 4 1/2 years ago my sweet, kind, loving cousin died from cancer.  She was taken from us WAY to soon and we all miss her very much.  In the last years of her life (and maybe longer) she was a avid knitter.  She did a lot of stuff for other people, but one of the projects that she left undone was a blanket for her sister Kim (my cousin that just visited here).  So at the family reunion all the knitters in the family got together and split up the yarn so that we all could get the project done.  So when Kim came here we looked through all the yarn and figured out how many blocks we all needed to make to get a nice sized blanket. 

I got 2 colors to work with,  pink (a nod to Ada) and cream.  And today I knitted the first one.  We have no pattern to go by and all we know is that she used a size 10 needle.  So I started playing with it today and I think I hit the nail on the head after a couple of tries. 


The one on the left is by Julie and the one on the right is mine.  I think they it will work.  In case any of the other knitters on this project are reading this I cast on 20 and that seems to be about what she did.  It took me about 1/2 hour to knit this one so it does not seem so much of a task as it did before today:)  I am really looking forward to the fact that all the blocks can be different so that I can try some fun patterns .... like cables .... stay tuned and I will post them when I can.

TTFN

No comments: