Friday, February 17, 2012
Just for the faith of it:
The top ten ways I think the life of faith is like running:
1. Most of the time, it feels like work.
2. Every once in a while, it feels like flying.
3. You can do it alone, but you'll do it faster and better with other people.
4. If your knees aren't at least a little bit sore at least a little bit of the time, you're not doing it hard enough.
5. Somebody will try to tell you that certain clothes are required to do it well; they're wrong.
6. When people who don't do it see you doing it, they wonder why the hell you would bother.
7. But they're also just a little bit impressed, especially if you look like it's not coming easy to you.
8. It's hard to start and easy to quit.
9. The longer you do it, the harder it is to quit.
10. If the only time you ever do it is when you're being chased, you're totally going to get caught.
Holy God, may I run and not grow weary, walk and not faint. Amen.
By Quinn G. Caldwell is an ordained minister of the United Church of Christ, and co-editor, with Curtis J. Preston, of the Unofficial Handbook of the United Church of Christ.
Try not to run too hard this weekend.
Posted by Zoë at 9:54 AM